Painting / Drawing
Hong Kong / United States / French
Click to Commission!
About Claire Lau
Claire was born in Paris in 1988, and moved to Hong Kong at the age of 7. She studied studio arts and music at Hampshire College, Amherst, MA, USA, during which she went on a study abroad program to Paris. Claire is currently based in Hong Kong, but she considers herself as a global citizen. She sees man’s relationship with nature as one of the most important issues of the 21st Century, regardless of national boundary.
Claire studio work is completed entirely en plein air, on site, from beginning to end. Painting in direct observation of nature is a process chosen in response to today’s digital age. While painting outdoors, Claire compels many of today’s over-stimulated eyes to move away from the screen, and to pause and ponder on their environment. Through her Hong Kong Cityscapes series and Hong Kong Banyan series, Claire explores the unique spatial relationship between nature and the city on a macro and micro level respectively.
Claire also strives to inspire people’s connection with their surroundings through mural art. In her past projects, she has transformed blank concrete interiors into visual journeys of nature and culture.
Claire Lau is a oil painter and mural artist who hails from France, Hong Kong and the USA. Inspired by elements of nature and urban landscapes, her works urge the modern-day city dweller to reestablish a connection with their surrounding environment.
Hampshire College, Bachelor of Arts, Amherst, Massachusetts, USA, 2010
Major: Fine Art Minor: Music
Awards: Hampshire College Non Satis Scire Scholarship for academic achievements, original work and improving the lives of others, 2006-2010
Wells College Arts in Paris Study Abroad Program, Paris, France, Fall 2008
Yew Chung International School, International Baccalaureate, Hong Kong, 2006
Awards: Yew Chung Foundation Scholarship for academic and personal achievement, 2004-2006 , Creative Endeavour Award for Art and Music, one recipient per year, 2006
École nationale supérieure des beaux-arts, course in Painting & Drawing, Paris, Summer
• “Connections: Paintings by Claire Lau”, PubArt Gallery, Hong Kong, April - May 2014
• “Boundaries and Intersections: Paintings by Claire Lau”, Yew Chung International School Art Gallery, Hong Kong, June - July 2012
• “Intersections: Paintings by Claire Lau”, Sticks and Bricks, Northampton MA, USA, May 2011
• "Marked Landscapes", Living Arts Studio, Northampton MA, USA, November 2010
• "Man and Nature: A thesis exhibition by Claire Lau", Hampshire College, April 2010
• “Paintings by Claire Lau”, Moan and Dove, Amherst MA, December 2009
Selected Group Exhibitions
• “Two Tales of One City: Paintings by Claire Lau & Photography by Cheung Chan Fai”, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, May 2014
• “No Man’s Land” Fotanian Open Studios, Hong Kong, January 2014
• “Hong Kong Oil Painting Invitational Exhibition”, Hong Kong Central Library Gallery, August 2013
• “First Hong Kong Oil Painting Competition Selected Artists Exhibition”, Hong Kong Central Library Gallery, February 2012
• Chung Chi College 60th Anniversary Art Exhibition, Hong Kong Central Library Gallery, November 2011
• “Hampshire College 40th Anniversary Alumni Exhibition”, Hampshire College, June-July 2010
• “Sharing the Journey - Women of Color Engaging with Our Worlds: An exhibit of Hampshire Students, Alumni, Staff & Faculty”, Hampshire College, February 2009
MURALS, INTERIOR AND THEATRE DESIGN
Mural series for Hong Kong Polytechnic University School of Tourism and Hotel Management, July-October, 2014
• Designed and painted a series of 32 walls on 6 floors themed around the continents of the world
• Designed and painted a series of 12 walls on 1 floor themed around food
Stairways Trompe l'oeil Murals, Yew Chung International School (Secondary), Hong Kong, July-August 2012
• Designed and painted 3 trompe l’oeil murals on walls semi-open air staircases in collaboration with students Interior Design of School Canteen, Yew Chung International School (Secondary), Hong Kong, August 2012
• Designed interior of school canteen for renovation Theatre Set Design, The Bement School, Deerfield, MA USA, April-May 2011
• Designed and painted backdrop 4’x8’ panels for the musical production “Guys and Dolls”
Should you be interested in working with the artist, please contact us email@example.com.